
Oh where, oh where can it be?


It disappeared 'bout a week ago,
When we put up our Christmas Tree!
When we moved into this wonderful home the people who were selling it had this Christmas tree. It was a 12-foot, pre-lit tree and they said, "This tree won't fit in our new house, so if you want it, you can have it. If not then we will cart it off." Well of course we want a free (and by "free" I mean "free" for the price of the house - like a dum-dum sucker from the doctor is"free" - but we were going to buy the house anyway so this was a total bonus!) I'm off track here. In a nutshell, we wanted the tree. We decided to put the tree up earlier than usual because we had some family visiting. As soon as the bottom branches were opened I had this thought "When he said that it 'wouldn't fit' in their new house, I thought he meant because it was 12 feet tall - I had no idea that the reason it 'wouldn't fit' is because it is 12 feet AROUND!"


After about two hours, some debating about how to make all the lights connected, an 8 foot ladder and a 6 foot-something brother-in-law (we couldn't reach the star even at the highest recommended climbing rung of the ladder - so Mark had to done the star), a husband and his sister who both have the patience to even out the bulbs and bend out the branches to make it beautiful, some over zealous kids who are great "helpers", and one broken bulb... the tree was finished.
Moral of the story?
The tree is gorgeous! The cursing was minimized this year because there was no base to try to get the tree straight in and there were no lights to unravel and replace and pin up to the pokie branches. Our ornaments look a little sparse distributed over that much space - but that is what "after-Christmas" sales are for - so maybe next year it will have some ornamentation! We have our Christmas tree (even if our couch is nearly in the dining room) and we are happily starting the Christmas
Holiday Season!
Holiday Season!
8 comments:
That tree is totally worth not having any furniture in you Living Room. Seriously beautiful! Just like you! I will have to come see. I think your lucky you only had 1 broken bulb, but the season is not over. You probably had to spend a bundle on enough ornaments for it though, huh!?!
It's starting to look a lot like Christmas!! I love it! I need a new house so I can fit a tree like that...or at least knock out a ceiling or two.
And that is why we bought the narrow tree ourselves. Ours is 9 feet tall, but not nearly round. We still need to put it up. Maybe after I clean the house and unpack from Thanksgiving...
So fun! I love bargains like that! My mom found us a 10 footer at DI for ten bucks, and we've been shopping after Christmas sales for the past 3 years to fill it too! Brad looks so manly! Hee hee hee!
Heather, I love it! I'd take a tree like that over furniture any day. Who needs ornaments, you've got the lights. So, are you having a Christmas party to show us how big it really is and we can hold hands and sing "Oh Christmas Tree."
love it--it looks great. We did also go and get a 12 foot tree in the hills. It is way to big for our front room but we love it. Looks like you broke down and bought some shades for the windows. They look great. I hope you are coming on Thursday--would love to see you!!!
Looks awesome. We bought a tree that goes to our ceiling last year. I want to sleep in the living room so I can stare at it as I drift off...
What a beautiful tree and a beautiful house.
Post a Comment