Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Secrets Stashed

Yesterday was deep-clean the house day. I found piles of wrappers from snacks sneaked by little snitchers. The funny thing is that after the snitchers sneaked the snacks they hid the "incriminating evidence" under couch cushions, behind couch pillows, behind couches, under coffee tables, under sinks... anywhere but the garbage - which is the ONE place where I wouldn't EVER be likely to discover them. If I WERE inspired to dig in the garbage, for some strange reason, finding a fruit snack wrapper in the trash wouldn't send up the red flag that finding one - say... wadded up in the plant pot would. See?


As a mother I have to say that most of the time stolen snacks = stolen moments of quiet for mothers, and are, in that case, TOTALLY worth it! I remember my friend Amy C. telling me how she had a candy stash in her room (because that is the GOOD part of motherhood - right? You know, the part that made you become a mom in the first place. Okay, I am going to go off on a rant now... remember being a kid and finding your mom eating something totally delicious that you totally wanted to eat and when you said "Can I have one?" she would look at you slyly and say "You can have as many as you want when you are a mom!" ? Well, I used to think that my mom, and most of yours, were doing that so that they could have a treat without having to share - but I was WRONG!!! They were actually doing it so that you would be tricked into thinking that being a mom was about getting all of the snacks you wanted and staying up as late as you wanted (which ironically has changed to about 8:15 now that I am a mom!) etc... it was a TRICK! As a mom they realized that the only way to make being a mom REALLY worth all of the hardship, was to make YOU a mom and have GRANDKIDS that they could spoil - and then send you home with them to punish you for how you were when you were a kid!) I realize that now that I have written this it will be a lot harder to fool my own children - but only if they read this!!! - So back to my friend Amy who had her candy stash. She walked into her room one day and there were her two children - probably about 3 & 4 years old at the time - eating her candy with their backs to the door. When Amy saw this she quickly realized how nice it was to enjoy these few quiet moments, tiptoed out, and shut the door. Eat up me hardies - Yo HO! Candy or quiet - candy or quiet - candy or quiet - I will take the quiet, thank you.



The point? I almost don't care about the stolen snacks because of the quiet consequence to it, but PLEASE put your wrapper in the garbage!

5 comments:

Wammack Family said...

Candy or quiet...that is a tough choice. I think it depends on the candy though. Some candies are better than quiet children, they take you away from it all. Oh wait, maybe the liquored ones are best not mentioned :) lol

Sherrie said...

Too funny. I think I need to start a stash. :) I've noticed my kids have been getting into the food storage. That's when you know you're a starving student I guess. HA HA!!!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Something for me to look forward to in a few years, good thing Abigail is such a good kid right now, and doesn't know how to work the locks on the cabinets.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious Heather! Oh I have my chocolate stash alright. Jeff even knows it's off limits. Quiet,chocolate and popcorn. I gotta have it all. But I only do it at night with less interuptions.

Anonymous said...

Actually I am with you on the wrappers. I don't really care if they eat their candy or mine right in front of me I just don't want to find wrappers between the mattresses, behind and in the couches or just in the middle of the floor. Popscicle sticks and otter pop wrappers, I have the same issue with those too.