As you know, I have already blogged about laundry and dishes and cleaning and such (see my blog entitled "Why I LOVE to Blog"). Because of this, I have decided that on otherwise uneventful days, I will write the stories behind pictures I took long ago with every intention of remembering the details, or writing them for the ages, but have never gotten to. It is a job that could consume my life, but something is better than nothing, I suppose, and besides it will guarantee blog-fodder for the month.
The story behind these picture is as follows...
B graduated from Optometry school in May of 2004. From Philadelphia, where we had been living and schooling for 4 years, we moved back to Idaho. When we decided to move to Idaho Falls we came up and searched for a house. I had very specific things I required in a home and wasn't willing to budge on them, and since the floor plan I wanted was not a popular one, we ended up renting for several months until we found our home in Ammon. Our apartment was a small three bedroom, one bathroom place in Idaho Falls. It was in a wonderful ward and we loved that. We had a neighbor who was just a little old cute lady who worked at a library in a neighboring city. They had these amazing kids packs at her library which had books and puppets and CD's and dress up clothes - so fun! Since we were not residents of that town, she would check these little boxes out and bring them to us to use.
We had a lot of happy times in that apartment. Ther
e wasn't any outside space and it wasn't in a great neighborhood so we did a lot of playing inside (luckily it was also winter and we were in our house by the spring). T, M, and C were very creative. They would dress as "Super Heroes" (jamming all of their clothes into a swimming suit - or wearing a cape - or both!) and run around after each other, jumping off the couches and chairs, or they would make trains with baskets, boxes, and toys. Sometimes they would even included baby E on their adventures.
They were so cute. I remember how unhappy they were when we moved the furniture in because it cut down on their play sp
ace. Here is a funny little story. T has some heck of a memory - don't get me wrong - he can't remember anything he doesn't want to - anyway... We put our things in storage for several months while we were doing our last rotation. Our friend's family owned a storage unit in Rexburg Idaho and they gave us a wonderful deal on a storage unit (we would have died without it!). When we moved to Idaho Falls about 5 months later, we went to get our things out of storage and couldn't remember which number was ours. The night we had moved in our things it was dark and snowy and yucky. We were in a huge hurry and not paying very close attention to anything except emptying the van and getting the door all the way closed with everything shoved inside. So here we were, trying to collect our things, the office was closed for the weekend, and we couldn't remember which storage unit we had our things in! T said "It's..." whatever the number was - I don't remember but I bet he still does! B and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes (so annoying when children think then know something that OBVIOUSLY they could NEVER know), but to humor him (and make him stop saying it) we gave it a try. Sure enough! There were all our things... just waiting for us to rediscover them. Curses, out-smarted again!
We really did love those days. I have to say that I am glad I am where I am now, but I hope those happy memories will always be mine to enjoy. I guess now that I have blogged them I have a better chance of retaining them than I did before - huh?!
So little blogging friends, get blogging and enjoy taking part in the celebration that is National Blogging Month - oh and Thanksgiving - but whatever.
Oh, HEY! I know. We could be THANKFUL for BLOGGING! I am smarter than I look.
7 comments:
Your kids are so creative. I think if you go back to playlist, they have an option to for random play or you can set it for the same order.
Good luck.
Heather, you are hilarious! So, in honor of National Blogging month, I started a brand new blog just for my creative stuff! Check it out! I've got the link on my sidebar. :)
Ok, I'll try, but I don't know how successful I'll be at blogging crap everyday. I don't think that anyone wants to know that much about me. Maybe I'll just find some really gross pictures and see how much fun I can have blogging those.
Trying to come up with something everyday is going to be a challenge.
Your pictures are great! The kids look so little.
What a great idea to blog old pictures. I'm totally stealing your idea!!!
Yippee...I'll be checking back EVERY day!!
I love running across old pictures and remembering the stories. (It's like your photo tag from a few weeks ago.) Fun idea!
Yah, um, no one wants to hear that much about me, plus I only got our digital camera not quite 2 years ago and I am not going to be scanning in all my old photos.....But we will all LOVE to hear from you everyday! We had a small house in Shelley before moving here. We had some really happy memories there too. Life was simpler then.... maybe that's part of it :)
Post a Comment