Thursday, November 12, 2009

In Gratitude... For Madsen

When Madsen was just a month or two old, he was sitting on our kitchen table in our tiny little house on 14th street in Pocatello, Idaho, in his little blue bouncy seat. I remember that he was in his snugly footy jammas and his hair was all slicked down from his recent bath. As I looked at him, I was amazed beyond words at how much I loved him - and at how Heavenly Father had created us so that even when we loved someone with all of our soul, we could still have room to love someone else in that same way.


When Madsen was about two he and Tanner started doing "thumbs up" to us. One night I asked Madsen what that meant and he said "It means I want to be like you." After that we began "thumbs up-ing" them whenever they made us want to be like them. It became a family tradition - something that we still do. I still love it.

I have always been glad for Madsen. He is a great friend to Tanner and the sisters. He is very good at drawing and the stories he makes up are very imaginative. He is fun to listen to. He likes people and you can feel it when you are around him. He is a good worker. When our neighbor, Wendell, is out in his yard, Madsen will go over to his house and work along with him until Wendell is done. Madsen doesn't have a hang up with generation gaps. If he is talking to a 2 year old, he is two. If he is talking to an 80 year old, he is 80. You just can't help but like this kid.


I am so thankful that Madsen was born into our family. I love his smile and hugs.



Hey Madsen, "thumbs up!" I love you!

5 comments:

bonitinha said...

And Rebekah is going to marry him, so I'm glad he's your son too!!!

Amberly said...

I love all your posts! You are so articulate. I love hearing about how much people love their kids and their husbands. It's a nice change from some of the negative we hear about.

shel said...

I love that part about no age gap. That is such a cute quality. And the thumbs up...I have seen you guys do that...love those little personal things that mean so much in a family.
And tell Madsen from Chris: Dune buggy drink dr. pepper. No reason.

Amy Hunter said...

I wish I was your neighbor so my boys could grow up around your boys. Thumbs up to Madsen from the Hunters.

JMP said...

Sorry. That's not Madsen and you know it. Madsen is a little tiny boy- didn't you just have him? Where do the years go? Still waiting for your call!