Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer... Slipping

Fall with it's crisp mornings, warm afternoons, and cool evenings is a wonderful season. I agree with every sentiment expressed about the smells of school supplies, cinnamon candles, and soups bubbling on the stove...

BUT, already I am mourning the end of summer. I love it's long and carefree days, the unlimited sun, the sound of children laughing at play in the yard, the smell of fresh cut grass, swimming on a hot day, watching a garden bloom from seed, taking walks when the heat begins to ease in the evenings, riding bikes with my kids, the smell of sprinklers on the dry earth, the vibrant colors of the flowers... But now...

I feel summer slipping and I feel almost desperate to hang onto it for just a little (forever) longer.

4 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

That was so poetic. I loved it. But, I can't agree. Summer is my least favorite season (go away heat!) and fall is my most favorite...and it is almost here! Yipee!!

bonitinha said...

It was 106 here on Saturday. Today I think it was 80. Bring on fall!!!

klunker said...

Beautiful picture.

Angela said...

I know at the end of the summertime I'm ready for a break in the hot & humid weather, so I start to look forward to Fall. However, I think knowing that the LONG, cold Winter comes following right on the heels of Fall makes me realize that the heat really isn't so bad... :)Maybe we should just invest in a winter home somewhere in a warm tropical area..you in?