Thursday, October 2, 2008

Random Thoughts From a Tin Cup

Have you ever noticed that water from a tin cup (or metal measuring cup) tastes better than say, water from a plastic cup? I love the way the metal immediately becomes as cold as the water and freezes your lips as you drink. It reminds me of reading the Little House on the Prairie series about Pa taking Laura and Mary into town for the Independence Day celebration or something one year. Laura talks about drinking ice cold lemonade from a tin cup.

I have to make another confession. Milk is best out of a metal measuring cup too - and what is even better is when you aren't supposed to be drinking out of it and you know it but you can't resist. So your mom leaves for a second and you try to fill it with milk, gulp it down, and deposit the evidence in the sink before her footsteps get too close. Ahh, the thrill of living on the edge!

I remember when we were young my dad and uncle got a pop machine down in our shop on the farm. It was 25 cents for a bottle of pop. These were the real honest to goodness glass bottles people, not the plastic ones of today. A&W Rootbeer never tastes as good out of plastic as it does out of a glass bottle or frosty mug.

So all of these years that I have spent chiding my children for fussing about the color of their cup - maybe I have been lying. Maybe it does taste better out of pink than green.

Comments? Observations? Questions about my sanity?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that! I remember being about 11 and we were on family vacation near Lake Tahoe. We went to see the location of where they filmed Bonanza. That was the 1st time I ever remember drinking out of a metal cup and I swear I still love it to this day! And don't get me started on glass pop bottles. There is truely nothing better!

Wammack Family said...

I remember a restaurant growing up that served fresh lemonade in mason jars, and that was the best lemonade ever!

You are mistaken on one thing though, the blue cup is always the best one :)

Joy said...

That is great!! My comment is that I am just glad to have a drink out of a cup that doesn't have floaties from one of the kids. And Pepsi sure tastes better from the cornerstore!! Can't say I have ever drank out of a tin cup. Maybe we should have a tin cup party!! You could be the host!!

bonitinha said...

I totally remember sneaking drinks from the metal measuring cups and imagining I was Laura Ingalls. So true!

The Grant Group said...

You are so good at keeping up on your blog. So entertaining too!
Jer

Jill Jones said...

Mmmmmm I think I win the best tin cup story. At my Grandma's cabin they have tin cups (in all the best colors!) and the water is right out of an ice cold mountain creek that runs throught their property. You've never tasted water like that in a tin cup before! Memories.

Taneil said...

Heather - hey I started a blog. Check it out adamandtaneilserr@blogspot.com
I love your blog I even have a link on mine! I miss talking to you!
Taneil

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Tin cups made working on my parents' property hauling brush almost worth it. Working in the summer heat and humidity sure was easier with the tin cup to drink out of. So tasty.