Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Friend"zeid Fun


Friends are fun. That is all there is to it! I remember being a little kid and going to Portland a couple of times a year to visit my grandparents. When our family got too large and loud to stay with Grandpa and Grandma Honey, we started staying with my mom's friends. We didn't get to see them very often - and I have to say that made it just novel enough to heighten the excitement. We would look forward to going to visit and to having them visit like it was Christmas or something. We had the sort of fun that is all consuming - you know, when you forget the time and what reality is about and are just locked in your games. Those times are so real to me that I can remember with detail the sights, sounds and smells of being at their homes.














A couple of weeks ago my children experienced this with some of B and my friends from our early married days. These friends were our very first married couple friends and they have been some of our favorite people ever since we met them - 8 short days after tying the knot. These Fun-miesters came and stayed the night with us. They have twins (boy and girl) who are M's age and a son who is between E and A - so everyone had a friend who was fairly close to their "level" if you will. My favorite part (well, MY favorite part was leaving the kids and going out for dinner with just adults and conversation and good food - you know, like the early days) but my favorite part of the children being together was on that Friday night. We had a fall storm move in very rapidly. The wind blew in with some force and the clouds were lit eerily with the reflection of the sun's rays. We called the children away from the WII and they went out to the swing set and their minds became overwhelmed with imagination - just like I remember mine doing in Portland - as they climbed and swung and hung and slid and screamed "We're all going to DIE!" It was as if they were on a 10X10 island with a swing set and no way to leave and the storm was raging about them with a fury unmatched by history or tall tales!






Childhood should be like this. I hope my children will fondly remember their times as I do!




3 comments:

Wammack Family said...

What a great day of fun for your kids!

Amy Hunter said...

I love these pictures! What's with Tanner's pout in the first one?Hilarious!!

shel said...

Yes...I can tell that Tanner is going to remember this so fondly...that is too funny the look he has.

I can't believe they all defied death-by-storm. They were really taking their lives in their hands that day. I think they had as much fun screaming (oh, the drama) as they did playing out there. We miss you guys already!!

By the way, this is definitely your finest post ever! ;)