Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Flood With No Rainbow

There was only one small handful of chocolate chips left in the whole house this morning, and they were gone before 8:30. I guess I should have seen that for what it was, a very bad omen, and gone straight back to bed. But I didn't. Here is a little rundown of the day - mostly in order...

We had a fist fight all of the way to school - not most of the way, mind you - all of the way. The replacement for our broken window came in. Brad went and got it - what has it been - only three months or something - he brings it home, puts it in and we realize that the grid on the inside is the wrong size and doesn't match the rest of the windows (they will measure our grid again, reorder it, and call us when it comes in). I was supposed to go Visiting Teaching this afternoon but the poor little girl I visit is sick with that nasty head cold everyone seems to be sharing so kindly. I offered to bring dinner into her and her girls and while she tried to talk me out of it I insisted - and I'm glad because I really do love her - but that doesn't mean that I am going to be able to pull it off! Okay, so my oven has been broken for days ($150 and a couple of weeks shipping time and we should have the new part for Brad to install - failed pilot less ignition thingy) but I decide that my VT girl needs some chicken noodle soup and homemade bread (tomorrow is Anna's third Birthday and I'm also going to need an oven for cake). LUCKILY my new neighbor, who just moved from Texas, was kind enough to let me use her oven so I got started on making bread and soup (cupcakes tomorrow). The kids are in and out and asking for this and that. We have an incident with an entire banana being smashed on someones foot and then "wiped off" on the carpet. World War Three over homework. Let's see - oh yes, in my chicken noodle soup I like to have the healing power of lots of good veggies but my children REFUSE to eat good veggies so I usually blend them up with a stick blender. Well the stick blender busted so I decided to use the REAL blender. I couldn't find the top. I decide to hold a lid over it. Guess what? It was steaming hot and as soon as I pulsed my blender (we have one of the old fashioned one speed on/off blenders that has a jet engine in it) it SPEWED carrot, celery, onion, mint, garlic - ALL OVER my appliance garage. It truly looked like cooking day at kindergarten after Little Timmy projectile-vomited all over everything. BUT the piece-de-resistance was this...

Tanner came down and casually announced to me that the toilet was clogged. Mind you, we have these amazing-powerful-super-ultra-mega-flushable-toilets. You've seen the commercial on TV where the guy is flushing everything he can get his hands on to try to clog the toilet and it just won't clog? Well those are the toilets we have here - and while I have to say that they are SO much better than the toilets we used to unclog twice a day - literally - my persistent children still manage to clog them once or twice a month. My reply was simply, "Okay. Just leave it alone and I will take care of it in a little bit." So I'm just making my dinner and blah blah blah - when all of the sudden I hear splashing on my ceiling. I ran upstairs and there it was - a huge flood of water running everywhere!!! Luckily it was clean - but still - NASTY! I start throwing rags down and slopped over to shut off the water valve. Then I announced at the top of my lungs that children are no longer allowed to use the toilets in the house - they will have to start sharing the back yard with Suzee. As I am trying to clean up the swimming pool, the kids start yelling downstairs - "THERE IS WATER RUNNING OUT OF THE LIGHTS!!!" And sure enough - water was running out of two of the lights in the kitchen - luckily not near the food - BUT STILL - and the worst part is???

There was no rainbow. No promise that it will not happen again... Tomorrow even.

8 comments:

klunker said...

Wish there was something I could do. I will tell you that a friend of mine once made a birthday cake out of a pyramid stack of ding dongs. The kids loved it and there was no fighting about "it's not fair, [fill-in-the-sibling] got a bigger piece!" On a brighter note, if troubles come in threes, I think you're set what with the window, the stove, and the rain in Spain staying mainly in your plane there. Cold comfort until things are fixed, but "somewhere OVER the rainbow" things are better than they are under the dang toilet rain.

Jody said...

Heather~ I'm so sorry you had an awful day!! Why didn't I recieve a phone call I would have loved to help you. You know I would be happy to even make cupcakes for our little anna tommorrow. I know its not from scratch but I even think I have a strawberry cake mix maybe even chocoalate if that would suite her better. Let me know I would be happy to do it. And next time your day is awful like today I better hear about it as its happening. Understand rubberband!!! Jody M.

Wammack Family said...

My friend, you know you have lots of people that would love to help! I would be more than happy to do something for you. I can cook, bring on the chocolate chips, or even just listen. Please let me know what I can do to help!

Joy said...

Wow that is a horrible day. Hopefully the sun will come out and the kids can play outside. That always makes everything easier!!

shel said...

Wow...sorry, friend, but I'm laughing :) That day can suck it!! The day it rains toilet water is definitely one to take note of. I'm not offering any help...just this: want to runaway together? far away?

JMP said...

Nu-uh!All that DID NOT happen in one day, really?You're going to be translated soon for not killing someone during it!

Anonymous said...

Heather, Wow what a doozie of a day. YOu are such a trooper, the meal, the cupcakes and even trying to do a party. It was fun hanging out as usual. Sorry about the flood, that is a killer.

Amy Hunter said...

Oh my goodness. What a nightmare. This belongs in a horror film.