I LOVE my new neighbors. I LOVE them to pieces and bits - truly. But I have to say that I am having one problem in this new neighborhood. So here it is...
Yesterday in Relief Society I had to fill out a questionnaire. One of the questions was "What was the last book you read?" Well, guess what? I couldn't REMEMBER the last BOOK I read - and this has NOTHING to do with my faulty memory - it just really has been that long!
(Lamenting - ) Where are my BOOK FRIENDS? Why have you left me all alone to sorrow in old Andy Griffith re-runs? When will you save me from this fate worse than death which is booklessness? Come to me with books (or suggestions even!) and redeem my soul from the pit of despair which is nothing more than a shallow grave. Come to me and save me with your well written words and entertaining plot. I beg!!!

12 comments:
Okay ! Here is my book list:
"Escaped" it is a very interesting book about a girl who escaped from the FLDS community. It is a little disturbing BUT very interesting.
The next one is called "Brothers" by Chris Stewart. It is great and I know that you'd like it. It's about the pre-existence and follows a family. HOWEVER, it is a series so beward not to get hooked.
Then there is Favelhaven if you like total mystery and magic type books! I loved it and read it with kids. Then you are doing double duty!
Come one Heather! JUST DO IT!! READING IS MY ONLY "OUT"!!
I hear you! I struggle finding time to read, but I love it when I do! Somehow I have actually found time to do it recently (I think it was a necessity for my sanity's sake!)and I have LOVED the last 3 books that I read! "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch is written by a man with 3 YOUNG children who was given just a few month left to live when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. You may have heard about him last year sometime. Anyway, he gives his tidbits on how to live a happy and successful life.
"Persuasion" by Jane Austin. I LOVE the herorine of that movie an dhadn't read the book. The book was even better than the movie.
"Tisha" as told to Robert Specht. This is an wonderful story about a 19 year old who goes into the outbacks of Alaska to teach school in the 1920's. I love her courage and determination to do what is right!
I love that picture!
Books...? All I've been reading lately is writings from the Cappadocian Settlement and Gerhard Ebeling's The Nature of Faith (which was surprisingly good). Are you looking for something entertaining? Try Bill Bryson--English the Mother Tongue (and How it Got that Way) or his "Made in America." Mystery? Elizabeth Peters recently published a new Vickie Bliss book (though it's not super good in my opinion--not as good as the others in the series). Fiction that makes you think? Try Jodi Picoult (Second Glance or Keeping Faith) or Jo Ann Mapson (her Bad Girl Creek Series was pretty good I thought), or even Ursula Hegi's Stones from the River which made it to Oprah's booklist, but notwithstanding that "honor" is actually a pretty good book. Nonfiction? Go with Mark Kurlansky's Salt: A World History. Churchy? Last semester I read The Talmage Story (part of a research paper) and it was a feel-good paean to the best daddy in the world but had some interesting stuff in it. If you want a more challenging piece, go with Richard L. Bushman's Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling.
And now I've got to get back to Basil of Caesarea. (I wouldn't recommend him for your reading pleasure, but if you have any problems with insomnia...)
Dear, sweet Heather, You move, you lose the library. No longer can I run a book down to you, along with a slice of the delicious cake I just put in the oven. Nor can I tell you about my new favorite series. Nor can I lament the fact that I still have not finished InkDeath, nor will I ever finish it.
//channeling E from the Incredibles//
Fine, I list for you. You find on your own.
-Do you remember when we read Dairy Queen, the girl football player? There is a second book out in that series.
-Aunt Dimity's Death
-A Time for Witches (about the Salem Witch trials)
-On a Pale Horse by Peirs Anthony
-Running out of Time by Haddox
I will think of more. Those are just off the top of my head.
Heather, if you go to my blog and look at my sidebar, you'll see a list of websites and there's one called "Shelfari". IT's sort of an online book club. Anyway, click on there and you will see my bookshelf, and be able to read reviews, see the ratings, etc. :) It's pretty fun.
First of all, I love that you match your music to your posts...so funny. Second, that picture is a.dor.a.ble!! And third, well apparently I have no third, I just liked this post.
I just barely finished reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. You read it? I really liked it. Sounds like you've gotten lots of suggestions and not a vampire among them ;)
Oh Heather! You need to join www.goodreads.com! it's just like a facebook for books! I'll be your goodreads buddy and hook you up with some excellent reads! Its really fun because you can see what all your friends are reading and get suggestions, make a "to-read list," etc.etc. It's like joining a book club, but with no pressure and no meetings.
I was going to say the goodreads thing too.
Yes, get on goodreads, I'm there too! It's great.
OK, now as for what you should be reading, I've made most of these recommendations before, but in case you haven't gotten around to them, here are my top picks for you. First of all, as soon as you finish reading this sentence you need to stop reading this post and run don't walk to your nearest bookstore and purchase Summer Lightning or Heavy Weather, both by PG Wodehouse and then immediately start reading. OK, now that you're back, wasn't that the best book ever! (Either one!) I know, hilarious right? Told you so! OK, in the mood for some more light, happy, fun reading? Go get Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg and when you're done you can read its sequel Can't Wait to Get to Heaven. Another goody is An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor... I just finished it and loved it. Also, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. And Cold Comfort Farm (can't remember the author) and that's a great movie too, so if you need a break from all that reading, track down that DVD.
Now, if you're in the mood for something a little less happy-go-lucky but still pleasant and satisfying, I highly recommend The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. FABULOUS!!! Can't say enough good. Quick, gently thought-provoking, wonderfully lovable characters, beautiful and unique voice. So good. Plus, the main character is way fat and super proud of it, not at all facetiously. And it's a series so you can keep going with it which is great. If you want to exercise your brain power (what's left of it) I love A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss. Not a quickie and you do have to pay attention, but so so so compelling (that's the one my MIL stole from me when she was in town). Perhaps the very best book I've ever read is unfortunately out of print, but if you ever come across a copy of The Heaven Tree by Edith Pargeter do not pass it by. Historical fiction at its very very best.
And if you're in the mood for something just bizarre and weird and zany and wonderful, read The Eyre Affair (and its sequels) by Jasper Fforde. It's not one that leaps to mind as a classically "Heather" book, but I just love it so much that I've decided to recommend it to absolutely everyone because everyone ought to read it and love it, and that means you. It takes some getting used to, but it's well worth (oh so very well worth!) the effort.
Looks like you have plenty of options.... I was just going to shamelessly admit that I finally read The Host.... but I'm sure you're way beyond that! I second Billy's post though, we sure miss you guys!
I just came to copy down some book ideas from other people and noticed you haven't changed my blog address yet. It is www.dreamingofbeaches.blogspot.com
If you liked the BBC's version of "Pride and Prejudice" then I have a book for you! It is Shannon Hale's book "Austinland" which is about a woman who is obsessed with Colin Firth from said movie. She goes on vacation to a resort which takes you to the time of dear old Jane. I haven't laughed so hard at a book in a long time.....and it is short too! Fast read! Also, the library has it on audiobook, so you can listen to it and pretend you read it!
Post a Comment