Thursday, August 19, 2010

When It Rains Frozen Romaine

They say when it rains it pours. What they don't say is that the pouring simply fills one up to the very very very tippy top of their limits. Then, after the downpour, one drop sends the whole thing spilling over, destroying the sides of the dam and drowning everything living in it's wake. I'm not sure why I ever decide to try to eat better - life is actually MOSTLY tolerable when it is smothered in chocolate - but lettuce, broccoli and chicken? Not so much. And we still have two houses. And we have to show the one we are living in today. And there is WAY too much to clean. And the kids are finally feeling summer in a way that makes the restless for school - maybe this is in answer to my last blog. And I, just in general, seem to be having an off week... So this morning, in sticking with my "eating better" goal, I decided that rather than trying to choke down another egg or oatmeal without sugar - I would just have a chicken salad. The chicken is cooked - in the fridge - easy - easy to clean up (since we have peepers coming this afternoon) - good plan. Where is the Romaine I purchased yesterday at Sams Club? I KNOW I bought a HUGE bag? Where in the heck... In the freezer. True. Slimy. Nasty. Sometimes when it rains, it's the frozen Romaine that pushes you over the edge.

2 comments:

bonitinha said...

Blech.

Rebecca Robison said...

I'm finally catching up on all of my bloggity blog reading and thought about you- after having so much fun last night.*

I'm so proud of you... and is it okay to say that J and I have noticed? REALLY!

I didn't want to actually come out and say that I could tell you had dropped a few pounds... bc what if you were not trying to eat healthy at all? Now that would be RUDE!

Now do you really like oatmeal?
Here is a little secret I used to try eating it with everything healthy until I found the perfect mix.
Have you tried peanut or cashew butter mixed with it? That is pretty good.

Here is my recent FAVORITE. And watch out bc I'm thinking about copyrighting this and sending it to Martha herself- ;)
Try this: plain jane oatmeal... while cooking add walnuts so they are nice and soft
and then add crumbled FETA cheese.

I am not kidding.

I LOVE IT!
PLUS... you get a lot more food groups and still don't have to add any sugar... sometimes I add a touch of milk.


*If you had any fun last night that is :)