Sunday, July 4, 2010

Faces of Freedom

What an amazing thing it is to live in a land where freedom is a defining characteristic. A place where noble men and women, many of whom are nameless to me, took the primary steps to rid themselves, and us, their posterity, of tyranny. A place where a number of wars have been fought, but very few on our soil, and most of them ending in increased peace. A choice land of God, whom we are under. A land, where if we remember that we are God's People and LIVE like it, will be protected by His almighty arm. I love that I can take it for granted, even though I hope I will often take time to remember what has been done to secure my freedom, and to give thanks to a loving Father in Heaven for being so blessed.


These are a few of the thoughts that I have had as I have celebrated the day when America declared her independence from Great Britain.


And these are a few of the faces that gave me pause to remember how great it is to have FREEDOM...


A husband, father, son, grandson, nephew, brother, friend... who puts on a uniform and a brave face and goes out to protect our liberty. This is the face of a hero.


















A beautiful little girl who is completely unaware of what has been sacrificed for her - but who will someday understand, and will then have even more pride in waving that same flag. This is the face of innocence.









A man who has lived long enough to have experienced war and peace, struggle and reward, joy and sorrow, new life and death. Someone who has contributed to the common good of man through hard work and dedicated service without expecting recognition. This is the face of wisdom.









I don't even know whose face this is - and yet, I am thankful for people who make life happy for us. A person in a sport uniform or stage costume who gives leisure time a purpose. The face of fun.











The little girl who believes it is all about her - and she is right. A princess around whose life the world spins. The wonder that comes from knowing that, "I can be whatever I want!" This is the face of believing.











To the faceless millions who take their freedom and use it to benefit themselves and others; entrepreneurs who see an opportunity and take it. This is the face of ingenuity. (And maybe just a little because I wanted to make Shelley and Devon laugh a tiny.)









Boys and girls who grow up with purpose, learning life skills and developing their strengths so that they can serve God, their country, and others. This is the face of our future.












And finally, some of my favorite faces. The faces of the children who belong to God but are on loan to me; children I have responsibility to teach - from tying shoes to having faith in Heavenly Father. Children who learn, not only from my words, but from my example. Children who absorb everything around them and then use it to build their lives. How thankful I am that mine is not the only face these children see and learn from - their wonderful dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, neighbors, school teachers, church teachers and leaders... I am very thankful to all of the righteous influences in their lives because... This is the face of my legacy.

7 comments:

klunker said...

...laugh a tiny. "...One Dollah!!!"

The Freed Family said...

Loved this post....very profound.

shel said...

Ice cold bottled watah...one dollah!!!!! heehee...

Love this! Very touching! And the final picture of your LEGACY is moving and beautiful...love their faces.

You should have put a picture of you...the face of AWESOMENESS!!!

Randomus maximus said...

I agree with Shel.

Anderton Family said...

What a great post! You are amazing!

Amberly said...

I love this post!! Amen Sister!!

Amy Hunter said...

I didn't expect to be so inspired. Thank you! I especially loved your last thought. Your legacy is going to be incredible.