Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Blueberries from Heaven...

Once someone that I love gave a lesson in church and she spoke about how much she loved blueberries - there was a point too and I could probably even remember it, but it doesn't fit into this blog, probably, and I am distracted by blueberries. She said that she loved the snap of the ripe, sweet berry as she ate it. I had never really thought about it. Most of the blueberries that I had eaten until that point - maybe ALL of the blueberries that I had eaten until that point, had been store bought and/or frozen. And then...

Last year my sister in law brought the most AMAZING blueberries from Oregon - fresh picked, by her own hand, to our home. She left a GALLON sized bucket for us. I ate every single one fresh. Brad wanted to make a cobbler - but you just can't cook a fresh, hand-picked berry!!! The children and Brad ate a few - but I was an addict!


This year my brother, sister in law, and five children came again. Jenn asked if we wanted more blueberries and I nearly died laughing - who doesn't want little blue bits of HEAVEN??? She liked the cobbler idea, though, and so she brought Brad and me our OWN gallon sized buckets... we made the cobbler with Brad's bucket and I am savoring every bursting-fresh berry in my own.

I know, there has been a lot of berry, food and flower talk on here lately. Well, too bad, that is what is making me smile these days.

5 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

Yummm! What a wonderful sister. Does she want to visit Wisconsin?

During the summer here blueberries are relatively inexpensive. I buy 2containers (for me only--no one else will really eat them) every grocery visit and put them on everything! It truly is a bit of heaven. That blueberry cobbler looks really good too!

Wammack Family said...

That cobbler looks delicious! When are you moving back over here so I can share in the amazing things that you guys make :)

Rebecca Robison said...

Oh... make me drool... all of this talk of berries sounds soooo good! My tummy is rumbling!

Angela said...

Ooohh! Send some my way! Or even better, come our way and get some. Where in Oregon did she get them? And when are you going to post the recipe? Berries make me smile!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I had hand-picked (by my hand, mostly, a few by Carl's) blueberries and raspberries when we were in Oregon. I had never realized how sweet raspberries were until I was picking them, and some of them were so ripe they were falling apart in my fingers, so I had no choice but to wat so very many of them before they even hit the bottom of the bucket.