What better "cause" can there be than SWEET HONEY?As our children age I feel sadly neglectful as a parent, just in that I am not able to offer them a whopping 5 cents a row to weed beets or onions all through the intense and debilitating heat of the western Idaho summer as my parents did in MY youth - (and I am NOT bitter at all - grr, just kidding, mostly). Because of this, we decided that we needed a farm. Livestock. Animals. Responsibility. Enter the City Regulations and Codes. Cows, chickens, pigs, horses... all not an option (thankfully, as they were also not given a second thought - except from my girls who prayed for horses for Christmas - Thanks Laura Ingalls Wilder for that harebrained idea). Anyway, our choice?
Winged Livestock, as Brad calls them. 10,000 head of bees (and and multiplying daily - by the end of summer we could be up to 70,000!). We purchased the bees and necessary equipment this spring and are now knee-deep in learning about, and tending these nectar-gathering family pets. We have been successful so far - mostly by luck, I will admit, but are pleased with our efforts and the progress we can detect (indeed this VERY night we saw our first bee larva!!! - hooray! We are Grandparents - okay, so maybe we aren't THAT bad).
Winged Livestock, as Brad calls them. 10,000 head of bees (and and multiplying daily - by the end of summer we could be up to 70,000!). We purchased the bees and necessary equipment this spring and are now knee-deep in learning about, and tending these nectar-gathering family pets. We have been successful so far - mostly by luck, I will admit, but are pleased with our efforts and the progress we can detect (indeed this VERY night we saw our first bee larva!!! - hooray! We are Grandparents - okay, so maybe we aren't THAT bad).
7 comments:
Good lookin' hivestock. I'm very excited for you guys!
I'm so excited to hear more on Friday! I'll bet it's a slow day at the MG office.
This post makes me so happy. It's fun and fascinating, isn't it? Yippee! Can't wait to see how much honey you get. So delicious!!
What little sweeties! Har har.
That is just COOL!! (I mean SAH-WEET!!)
You've got to post lots more about it so we can follow!
That is Jeff's dream. I guess he'll be headed your way soon looking for tips. :) And we'd take your house if only you'd work on the 'too many ophthalmologists' situation. ;)
Post a Comment