Friday, May 7, 2010

The Beauty of Miss Mills



Yesterday one of Camilla's friends informed her that there was a boy at school who liked her because she is cute. She told me first thing when she got in the van and I could tell it disturbed her. I decided to tell her the truth - "Camilla, I'm sorry but you are cute. Lots of people are going to like you. That DOESN'T mean you have to like them back."

At dinnertime she said quietly to me: "Mom? He only likes me because he thinks I'm cute. He doesn't even know what I am like INSIDE!" Again with the truth - "Camilla. He sure is missing out. You are beautiful - but you are even MORE beautiful inside. Someday you will find someone who appreciates that." Her response, "Like dad?" Once more with the truth - "Just like dad."

Some days make other days worth it.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Now that's a daughter to be proud of! :) I hope our daughter grows up to be just like all of yours! :)

Darin and Shannon said...

How wise! I wish I would have figured that out at her age!

bonitinha said...

Love it!

Kristen Mackrory said...

Um. Melt your heart. What a beautiful glimpse into her wisdom and her love and respect for her father, and what a wonderful teaching moment.

shel said...

Sometimes beauty can be such a BURDEN!! You tell her that I feel her pain.

ha.ha. What a wise moment from a smart, spunky and truly beautiful girl! Good job, mom and dad.

Amberly said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard! What a beautiful girl!