Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sunshine On My Counter Makes Me Happy!

This year I have been trying to be less annoyed by - and grouchy about - snow. I love water. I love showers and baths and clean clothes and kids running through sprinklers and green grass and fresh vegetables from the garden - and, let's face it, we have to have some snow in these parts to ensure our water for the summer. And honestly, I have to say, I don't think my beef is as much with SNOW as it is with the lack of SUN. If it snowed out of a clear, sunny sky, I might even LIKE the stuff. But as I have said before (yawn Heather!) I really am starting to love the sun more and more in my old age. I remember being a child and hearing my mother talk about how she was so glad that she didn't live in Portland Oregon anymore because she just didn't love the constant grey skies. I actually remember thinking "I love grey skies and I love rain!" Well, that was then... this is now and I am ready to be a snowbird. Send me to Yuma in a tin trailer and I'll see you in May! Okay, since that is not an option, the Love of my Life gave me the gift of light for my Birthday. It is a Verilux Sun Therapy Lamp. And I just have to say - Sunshine on my Counter Makes Me Happy!!!

10 comments:

klunker said...

You should come visit me! We've been having a cold snap here, by which I mean it is down to the 60s so we've all got the heaters on and are stockpiling wood and having nightly bonfires in our fireplaces, but by this weekend we're supposed to thaw back out to the low 80s. :) Sure we have earthquakes shaking us around every once in a while (the last one was about three weeks ago - you could barely feel it!), and this time of year it's always anyone's guess as to when (not if) the Santa Ana winds are going to drive a wildfire through the Cahuenga Pass, but other than that... :)

Kristen Mackrory said...

What a PERFECT gift! I am totally with you in my need for sun. The townhome we live in right now has all of its walls painted and looks really nice except the colors are way too dark for me. I feel like they eat up whatever light actually makes it through the windows. I can't wait to move into a place that has huge windows with light colored walls that make it feel like summer all year long! It is just easier to be happy when it is sunny!

Happy Birthday! I feel badly that I missed it. Heather, you're the best!

shel said...

Way to go, Brad...you win the thoughtful award!!! I didn't know I cared so much about the sunshine either, until I started getting so old-like you Heather :D

Now go put on your string bikini and sip a cocktail while getting all nice and tan...in your kitchen! (Can i come?)

Anonymous said...

I want one of those sooooo bad! I absolutely love the snow, but I get the winter blues something aweful. How much was it and where can I get one?

Sherrie said...

I think I need one of those. The Cleveland winters are way too long. No sun from the end of October to the beginnin of May. Nearly constant cloud cover. It really stinks!

Anonymous said...

Heather, the whole time I was wondering what that thing was. Ok now I want to know if it works. How long have you had it?

Angela said...

I hear you Heather! I just miss the beautiful warm sun! (And I've become a wimp as I've gotten older...I can't take the cold anymore) Maybe we should all move somewhere warm and sunny together (at least for the winter months:) So glad you have a nice little sun lamp!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

It was about $100 and he got it on line. I really think it works. I have to say that Brad and I are waking up in the morning before the alarm goes off! That never happens! If you can't find the sight I will ask Brad what it is called again.

JulieJ said...

I grew up here and never realized as a kid how dreary and windy it can be. Just have to remind myself about all of the good things about living here.

Amy Hunter said...

I was just feeling a little blue myself, this sunless morning!! I'm so jealous! What a great gift. That Brad. He's a keeper, he is.