Saturday, December 11, 2010

Advent Day 9 - Stockings


Wake up song:
Hang Up Your Stocking


Pocket Paper:
Once a year in the middle of December Santa Claus comes around
With gifts and things all the kiddies will remember
Pleasing everyone in town
He'll bounce and bump, he's so doggone plump
As he goes his merry way
He shouts and sings for the joy he brings
If you listen you'll hear him say
Hang up your stockin',
Hang up your stockin'
Hang up your stockin' on Christmas Eve 'cause Santa's on his way
So boys and girls, here's something to remember
Listen to me through the year
If you're not good and if you're not tender
Santa's sure to hear
Hang up your stockin',
Hang up your stockin'
Hang up your stockin' on Christmas Eve 'cause Santa's on his way

I'm not very crafty. Our Christmas stockings have always been the Walmart leftovers bought in the days after Christmas when they are 90% off. Nothing wrong with that. When I was a child my stocking was red and white and had my name written on it in Sharpie marker. I LOVED that thing. It was MY very own piece of Christmas. So a few years ago my friend Emily told me about her stockings that she was customizing for her family. I loved the idea but wasn't that ambitious. This year when we were constructing the advent calendar, Amber said that she was making personalized stockings for her family members and said she would help me if I decided to do it - and - really, how do you pass that up. I let each person pick their two favorite things about winter and Christmas and then cut them out of felt and put them on their stocking. The stockings aren't done. I gave them the top sock with the stuff adhered to it, but not blanket stitched yet. Hopefully I will be done before Santa is ready to fill them - right?

No comments: