Thursday, January 21, 2010

FORTified for the Winter


No TV. That's what spurred this amazing fortress built entirely by my children's 10 little hands. On Monday, because it was a holiday, we told our children that they would ALSO be getting a holiday from electronic entertainment. No TV. No Wii. No computer. So, with "nothing to do" they went outside and began building. Hours and hours and hours of fun went into constructing, embellishing, and decorating this snow fort. It was one of the best days they have had in a long time. They are so pleased with the result. They use it every day and it continues to be a distraction from the "other" things in life which normally claim their attention. I love it as much as they do! There is just something that is so magical about being absorbed, completely and totally, in a worthy endeavour - especially as a child - you enter another reality - one that is BETTER than can be provided you by some nameless producer of a television show. Imagination is a gift. I am so glad my children opened theirs and found the treasure inside!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Angela, Jeff was signed in under his account..
I love the fort! It's so fun to see the creative things your kids can come up with! And I'm drooling at your yard! :) We'll be headed to Idaho Falls just as soon as someone knocks off a few ophthalmologists... :) From what Brad said, it sounds like your area is pretty set. So work on that would you...? :)

Randomus maximus said...

We have cool kids. Whoever said that they should have a Wii/TV free day off is awesome! This is another reason to like Summer, when this type of thing is a daily occurence, best.

shel said...

In the words of Carson "that like so totally rocks!!"

(Don't blame me...he grew up as a valley girl in the 80's.)

And, Heather, thanks for being so nice to me. You're the best :)

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Awesome!

Jill said...

How much fun!! I love that you guys have electronic free days...I think it is so great!!

Amy Hunter said...

I think the fort ROCKS as well, and I too am drooling at your HUMONGUS back yard! How fun!

klunker said...

VERY cool. Can't do anything like that 'round here.

The Freed Family said...

I love the idea of a holiday from electronics....brilliant!