Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pre-Peach Passion =TORTURE!!!

In our religion, we are encouraged fast one Sunday per month. Going without food or drink for 24 hours is a different and challenging thing for most of us to do in the day of plenty. However, there are so many things that I learn from it, and I know that I am blessed by the Lord for doing it.

Today's challenge was especially hard for us. Last night we received several boxes of fresh peaches. By the time we got them it was too late to eat them, our fast had already begun. Today we made two desserts using these fresh, fragrant peaches, also during our fast. Madsen, Camilla, and I made homemade peach ice cream and a fresh peach pie. First we scalded the peaches, put them in ice water, and then slipped the skins. The smell was overwhelming! The juice in our hands was so enticing. Even the look of the peach seem to be heightened by our desire for food. I had a realization; when I can just eat whatever I want I don't often take time to appreciate the sight, smell, feel... Peaches even have a sound when you cut them it sounds like "p...e...a...c...h...," whispered really softly. But when I'm really hungry, I can truly appreciate them for all they are.

I'm so glad that I have food! I am so glad that I have water! Having these in plenty is one of the greatest blessings of my life. But, I must also admit, that going without them once a month helps me to appreciate the pleasure in a beautiful peach made by God, ripened on His tree. This Sunday, I count one of the blessings received this afternoon with my children, in gratitude for a peach.




No comments: