When I was little there was a girl who used to come visit us because her mom and my mom were childhood friends. Her name was Erika Pack. She used to keep us awake at night telling us the most wonderfully scary stories in the world! One was a story about a haunted house. A man came to look at the house and he heard "Bloody bones and dirty diapers!" (said in a very ghostish voice) and he ran away. A lady came and heard "Bloody bones and dirty diapers!" (in the same voice, although when she ran I now believe it was because she was a mom who was terrified of having to potty train!) Finally a baby comes to see the house (why a baby would be house shopping alone was never a question in my mind as a six year old for some reason) and heard "Bloody bones and dirty diapers" and replied, "You keep your bloody bones and I'll keep my dirty diapers!" I guess the baby bought the house and lived happily ever after - not that any of this has anything to do with... well, anything - but we have had some musculoskeletal issues in our family lately and I do need to start potty training Anna, so recording a happy memory from my childhood as a lead in to all of this junk seemed like a good idea.
In order of injury awareness - not occurance:

On May 16 E was riding her new birthday bike (4 years old on May 10) when she tipped over into the grass and broke her left arm. She came in fussing but not hysterical and said her hand hurt. I looked at it but it wasn't even scratched. She sat on my lap and said after a few minutes, "Mom! It hurts too bad!" I asked her what she wanted and she requested a bandaid (which cures everything - well, nearly) and I was happy to give her one. When I asked where she wanted it, she pointed to her arm about two inches from the wrist. I took off her jacket and noticed that her little tiny arm was BENT! We rushed to the Urgent Care where X-rays confirmed the break and also revealed the severity. Their Dr. called an Orthopedic Surgeon for us and we ran over to Dr. Biddulph's office at 5:00 on a Friday evening while his family waited for him to go on vacation. He was super kind to E and did a great job of twisting her arm back into place (an action that usually causes much screaming according to him, but E was - although obviously in pain - quite calm for the events) and soft casting it. Last Friday she got her hard cast which is PINK! Hooray! On Sunday she told me "Mom, I can't wear a dress with long sleeves or no one will be able to see my pretty cast." So there you have it Paris and New York, broken arms are IN this year.

On Monday I visited the Podiatrist because just over a month ago E (who happens to be our calm child - ironically!) in a little fit of anger at being asked to kneel down for prayer (for probably the 10th time) dropped huffily onto the side of my foot with her knee. It has hurt ever since but has gotten worse lately. Podiatric examination revealed that I have a tendon that is torn or something and after an intensly painful injection of cortisone (I think) and a brace that I will be wearing for a month, I am on my way to recovery. I was even able to go up to my Cub Scout Day Camp yesterday at Krupp Scout Hollow. The four of us "Scouting Girls" took 17 Cub Scouts up past Rigby for the day and had a great time - despite Mother Nature's attemts to blow us away!
Now, for the third thing (don't they say accidents happen in threes? - well, thank heavens we are done!) Two months ago (or there about) B was playing basketball with the boys at the Church (not to be confused with "church ball" which is often fatal - but at least body-castable). As they were leaving (
indeed the boys were already walking out) B threw "one last shot" and pushed off wrong causing much pain and an audible POP of the knee. Since it has failed to heal itself, he too visited Dr. Biddulph (we are going to pay for all of his kids to go to Ivy League schools by the time this is over!) and had an MRI and found that he has a large medial meniscus tear on his left knee which will be surgically repaired on June 24th.
And so, if forced to pick, bloody (broken, torn, etc) bones or dirty diapers, I think I would keep my dirty diapers too - now if only we could sell our house and get the haunted house...
In order of injury awareness - not occurance:
On May 16 E was riding her new birthday bike (4 years old on May 10) when she tipped over into the grass and broke her left arm. She came in fussing but not hysterical and said her hand hurt. I looked at it but it wasn't even scratched. She sat on my lap and said after a few minutes, "Mom! It hurts too bad!" I asked her what she wanted and she requested a bandaid (which cures everything - well, nearly) and I was happy to give her one. When I asked where she wanted it, she pointed to her arm about two inches from the wrist. I took off her jacket and noticed that her little tiny arm was BENT! We rushed to the Urgent Care where X-rays confirmed the break and also revealed the severity. Their Dr. called an Orthopedic Surgeon for us and we ran over to Dr. Biddulph's office at 5:00 on a Friday evening while his family waited for him to go on vacation. He was super kind to E and did a great job of twisting her arm back into place (an action that usually causes much screaming according to him, but E was - although obviously in pain - quite calm for the events) and soft casting it. Last Friday she got her hard cast which is PINK! Hooray! On Sunday she told me "Mom, I can't wear a dress with long sleeves or no one will be able to see my pretty cast." So there you have it Paris and New York, broken arms are IN this year.
On Monday I visited the Podiatrist because just over a month ago E (who happens to be our calm child - ironically!) in a little fit of anger at being asked to kneel down for prayer (for probably the 10th time) dropped huffily onto the side of my foot with her knee. It has hurt ever since but has gotten worse lately. Podiatric examination revealed that I have a tendon that is torn or something and after an intensly painful injection of cortisone (I think) and a brace that I will be wearing for a month, I am on my way to recovery. I was even able to go up to my Cub Scout Day Camp yesterday at Krupp Scout Hollow. The four of us "Scouting Girls" took 17 Cub Scouts up past Rigby for the day and had a great time - despite Mother Nature's attemts to blow us away!
Now, for the third thing (don't they say accidents happen in threes? - well, thank heavens we are done!) Two months ago (or there about) B was playing basketball with the boys at the Church (not to be confused with "church ball" which is often fatal - but at least body-castable). As they were leaving (
And so, if forced to pick, bloody (broken, torn, etc) bones or dirty diapers, I think I would keep my dirty diapers too - now if only we could sell our house and get the haunted house...
4 comments:
Heather! I just have to say that your two blog entries were about the most refreshing thing I've read in a long time. I'm so glad you started a blog! You always make me laugh, I love it! I hope your house sells quickly, and I'll be excited to see which haunted house you choose to buy. :)Let me know if you need the link to my blog...and I'll resend it to you. :)
Well if you don't send Dr. Biddulfs kids to the Ivy league by yourself, we certainly will be helping with that. He's the one that did Leanns 2 surgeries (which we are STILL paying for thank you very much!) Glad to see you have joined the blogging world.
Love ya,
Jer
Heather! What a fun time you are all having in pain! I work at night typing transcriptions for a podiatrist, so I was interested in your injury especially.
I can't believe Ella was so calm! What an angel.
Heather! Jeff and I were just talking about you guys, wondering how you were doing. We were saying that we're about the same place you were when we first met you, (3 kids ages 4, 2, and baby) I still can't believe where the time goes. It's so fun to see your blog, just reading your entries I feel like I can hear you saying those exact things. We sure miss you. Although I'm glad we didn't move to Ammon yet, because you would be leaving! Hopefully you'll get your house sold, I despise those days of keeping the house immaculate for the '10 minute notice' realtors. We've looked at Pocatello, maybe we'll end up there together! Give all your kids a big hug from us!
Post a Comment